Sunday, May 31, 2009

Looking for Apartments

Hey. Short blog today, but since I haven't been here in a week or so I thought I should update.

I'm in Davis, CA looking for someplace to live. Sadly, there really aren't any affordable one bedrooms here this time of year (they're all gone). So instead, I'm looking at two bedroom apartments. However, I won't have (and don't want) a roommate for next year. The good news is that my parents are willing to pay part of my rent. Their reasoning is that if I have an extra bedroom, they can stay there instead of a hotel room. Basically as long as they plan to stay at least 12 days a year, they will have saved money on a hotel.

But keep in mind, I'm flying over here. So I have barely any stuff. 900 square feet + minimal furniture from Ikea and a few amenities = tons of extra space. Looks like I'm going to have to take up yoga or something. Since I won't have much, I might even be able to organize in a very zen kind of way.

Some goals for the new place:
  1. Garden. Probably in pots, unless I pick one of the few places with a yard. Hopefully I'll have an herb garden and grow some cherry tomatoes. Yum!
  2. Stay neat. It's my theory that when you have less stuff, messes stick out more. Although, if I put everything away my place will look really really empty.
  3. Take care of what I do have. I'll get some cheap furniture from Ikea, so it won't be great stuff, but I don't want to have to replace anything during the 5 years I'm out here.
  4. Get furniture that fits me. I'm 5'0" with shorter legs as well, so this is harder than it sounds. I'll probably have to cut pieces off of chair and table legs.
  5. Invite people over. My fellow math classmates for example!
  6. Pets? Not everyplace I'm looking at allows pets. However, I would potentially like a cat. We'll see.
So, that's what I've got so far. Anyone else have any suggestions?

2 comments:

  1. You could try Craiglist and Freecycle for cheap/free furniture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Closer to the day, sure I'll look at it. But I want my essential stuff to be new so I know it will last five years. If I want to get some extra stuff to fill up more space (end tables, rocking chair, book shelves, etc.) I will look into used furniture. Sounds like a good idea!

    ReplyDelete